Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thank You for all your prayers and concerns

Friday, 10th, 6pm. Daddy reports he just kept lifting his shirt to show them to me.

Friday, 10th, 11:30 am, the start of the rash. Not so bad, who would have thought he would be hospitalized for a rash???

Thanks for all your prayers and concerns. Jonathan Came home on Wednesday, 15th and is doing well. He really likes his medicine except the zantac. I haven't met any kid that will take this medicine without spitting some out. I would like to show you more pictures, but I can't figure how to down load them off my phone.

Saturday 4am.This is what the rash looked like initially when I came home Friday night, just not as many.



Saturday 8pm.

Saturday 8pm.

Saturday 8pm.

Saturday 10am

On Friday the 10th we thought Jonathan was coming down with the Chicken pox. What started as little dots on his belly spread to a severe rash all over his body. Here is a run down of all the excitement.

Friday, 10th, I received a call in the morning from daddy stating that he thought JT had chicken pox because he had some red spots on his belly. The night prior I had started putting them back in their sleepers because its warm when you go to bed, but it is cold when you wake up. I thought maybe it is a heat rash or a reaction to the pj's that might have last been washed at grandma's. I had daddy give the boys a shower just in case it was something on the pj's. Through out the day I received multiple calls from daddy while at work because he thought JT had chicken pox. I was planning on taking JT in on Saturday to the Pediatrician to check it out. But when I got home to my surprise, this was the worst case of chicken pox I had ever seen. He had bright red areas all over his belly and it seamed to be spreading. I couldn't go to bed when my child looked like this. So back to the hospital we went. We got discharged from the Peds ER at 1am with a prescription for steroids and a diagnosis of Erethema Multiform. He wasn't itchy with the rash, but he knew it was there he kept lifting his shirt to show daddy his rash.
Saturday, 11th, I woke up and the rash had spread. You saw the picture of that morning. I went to the pharmacy and got the prescription filled, gave the med, and called the pediatricians office after Jared had looked up on the net about erethema multiform and got the scare of his life. We went to the pediatricians office and they doubled the steroids and recommended benadryl every 4 hours. JT was taking a nap that afternoon and it looked like the treatment was working even before the steroids were doubled. His new and old hives had faded in color, yeah. That night more hives showed up. His hives started itching this morning.

Sunday, 12th, We woke up and JT had rash everywhere, new rash where there wasn't rash, both eyes were swollen, I gave him his meds and told Jared that I was going to go to the Pediatric ER. Jared said that I needed to give the medicine time to work. Even though we were giving the benadryl every 4-5 hrs hives still kept coming. We waited until noon and after giving JT a soda bath and seeing the extent of the rash which wasn't improving, but was worsening we loaded up and went to the ER. They decided to admit JT and give IV steroids, benadryl, zantac(to protect the stomach while on steroids), and oral zyrtec. While in the ER he received zyrtec and the hives seemed to be fading just while we awaited for them to admit us to the peds hem/onc floor. The admitting diagnosis was HSP vs Erethema Multiform. Hives were really itchy and bothering him.

Monday 13th, we decided to make sure benadryl was given every 4 hours because he kept getting new hives. The steroids went from the home dose of 2 times a day to IV dose and 4times a day. With the steroids, zyrtec, and benadryl the hives still came, but they went away after the meds took effect. Dr. Bernstein (Hematologist/Onocologist) believes that we are dealing with Erethema Multiform, which is better than HSP. Oh boy this kid can get his grub on. JT liked getting served breakfast in bed, he also liked the nourishment room down the hall.

Tuesday 14th, I decided that even though the hives were coming back, they were almost cleared up and weren't coming back as severe. I asked to do a oral medicine trial. Jonathan almost failed the oral medicine trial not because the medicine wasn't working, but because the hospital only has elixir in the benadryl and I don't know how much he got because he spit most of it out at me. The steroids would have been a failure to get him to take because initially they ordered the yucky tasting one, but luckily I have a friend Suzanne in the pharmacy which I called her regarding the benadryl and she said if you can get the doctor to write may take home meds then you can go get him some benadryl he will take. Also she gave me the heads up on the steroids and I got the nurse to get it changed to the better tasting one.

Wednesday 15th, Oral medicine trial successful, got discharged this morning from the hospital. Daddy came and picked us up. continue with benadryl every 4 hrs. With as much as JT is eating, I don't know if I can afford to take him home. The steroids cause a big appetite also they cause agitation (Jonathan isn't the same boy when he is on the steroids).

Thursday 16th, changed benadryl to every 6 hours to dose with steroids.

Friday 17th, Follow up appointment with Dr. Bernstein, the benadryl only give as needed, and the steroids will wean per a written schedule, JT will be off his steroids by the beginning of November.

No comments: