Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Great Basin National Park

Benjamin and I on the way down from the Rock Glacier on Wheeler Peak; looks cold doesn't it? This is in July in Nevada!
Daddy and Jonathan at Teresa Lake, boy Jonny sure loves daddies Camel Back filled with grape Gatorade. Elevation 10,230 feet.
Two of the mule deer the boys chased after. They were in a beautiful meadow below Stella Lake.

Jared and Jonathan at the Rock Glacier, elevation 10,800 feet. This is the only permanent icefield between the Wasatch in Utah and the Sierra Nevada range in California.



On the first day we went on a hike to the bristle cone forest and the Rock Glacier. On the second day we went on the Alpine Lakes Loop trail past Teresa Lake, and then on to Stella Lake. The best hiking the boys did was down from each of these hikes. Jared estimates that they hiked a mile each day during our sojourn at Great Basin National Park. I wish I had the video mode on my camera enabled when Benjamin chased after 7 mule deer in a meadow screaming "dogga, dogga, dogga...." oh and Jonathan was running after them also. The deer were Just looking at the boys like they were crazy. Jared was trying to capture the boys before they got to the deer, but I wasn't helping, I was to busy trying to capture a picture of the fawn before it hid behind some trees. Boy, to carry 30 plus pounds on your back while hiking wears one out quickly!



HT

The boys exploring the forest behind our camp site and the boys hiking.


No comments: